manakaa_logo_600px.png

LUXURIOUS WOMENS FASHION WITH HANDMADE INDIAN BEAD EMBROIDERY
MADE FAIRLY & OF SUSTAINABLE HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS

KEY FACTS

THE CORE

MANAKAA PROJECT offers 
unique pieces – silk blouses, dresses, scarves, cashmere jumpers, sweatshirts, trousers and jackets - with complex graphic embroidery made of Japanese glass beads using finest sustainable materials. 

VALUING TRADITIONAL EMBROIDERY & THE PEOPLE WHO CREATE IT.

The vision was to create a label that would appreciate and honour the precious art of embroidery and those who create them while placing this craftsmanship in a completely new design context at the same time.
MANAKAA  PROJECT aim is to
value the people who produce their unique pieces in laborious manual work just as much as the people who wear them.

THE VISION

SUSTAINABLE MATERIALS & FAIR WORKING CONDITIONS

THE FOUNDERS

Stefanie and Valerie came into contact with the art of Indian glass bead embroidery through a social project. Back in Berlin, the idea came up to translate this traditional embroidery method into modern, coded patterns. Manakaa means “bead or pearl” in Hindi. The appropriate title for a project whose concern is not only the product itself, but also the appreciation of the embroiderers and the fair use of resources.
After spending a few years sourcing fairly produced materials, searching for reliable partners, creating the designs, MANAKAA PROJECT was finally launched in 2019. 

SUSTAINABLE MATERIALS, FAIRLY PRODUCED, BY TRADITIONAL CRAFTMANSHIP.

MANAKAA PROJECT contrasts the old Indian craftsmanship of glass bead embroidery with coded patterns and precise, minimalistic cuts.

The focus is on the carefully selected high-quality and sustainable fabrics, such as non-violent organic Peace Silk from India, finest organic Merino Wool from Germany and sustainable Cashmere from Mongolia. Currently about 85% of all clothing components are GOTS certified/ produced according to these standards and also meet the highest Ökotext standard. The remaining 15% are produced in small, often family-run factories.

THE PRODUCTION

The detailed embroideries are applied bead by bead with simple embroidery frames according to the traditional method of Sari embroidery in Jharkhand, India. 

In addition to the embroidered pieces, MANAKAA PROJECT offers Silk Scarves and Tops with printed designs, again using the non-violent Ahimsa Silk which is produced without the use of any kind of pesticide, fungicide or genetic sprays and without killing silkworms as usual. 

THE PRODUCTS